One of our Garden Club meetings was focused on how to get more veggies into our daily diet. We made Green Goddess Dressing - an easy and fresh jar of goodness that can take the place of many of our dressings and dips (filled with mystery ingredients, unnecessary sugars, and salt!).
- We know exactly what it is made of, and can control each ingredient's safety! This is great for people with chronic diseases like diabetes and hypertension because they have control over the ingredients.
- It saves money! The healthier dressings at the grocery store can be expensive ($7-$10). These ingredients are FREE from the community garden, and are also very affordable when bought from the grocery store!
- The color is beautiful! The light green color gives any dish a nice refreshing pop of color
- Most of the herbs in this recipe have vitamin C, which help support your immune system
- Greek yogurt increases the protein in your dressing, which helps you feel full quicker and longer! It is also a great substitute for mayo and sour cream.
- Mint helps promote digestion and can help reduce upset stomach
1/2 cup cilantro (lightly packed, stems okay!)
2 handfuls parsley
2 green onions
0-1 Jalapenos (take out the seeds if you want to avoid some of the spice. Good if you are cooking for the kids or abuelos!
1/3 cup olive oil (add more if needed for smoother consistency)
2/3 cup plain greek yogurt (we substituted this for the sour cream!)
1 lime's juice (approximately 2 tbsp)
+/- 1/2 avocado if you have one
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 c mint
pepper to taste
Blend all ingredients together in a magic bullet or food processor. Add more oil for consistency, as needed.
Use as a salad dressing, veggie dip, or sauce for grilled chicken/veggies!
Stores for 1 week in your refrigerator.
Learning nugget: Olive oil and other fats are absolutely essential in your diet! They help you to absorb vitamins A, D, E, and K which would just be pooed out if you did not have oil!